Sunday, January 15, 2012

Documentary - the kind that pulls at heartstrings

I someone post this preview of a documentary about an Israeli school. The documentary is called "Strangers No More" and was nominated for an Oscar. When I began watching the preview, tears came to my eyes, because I realized that I know that school, those rather unattractive walls, and those administrators - I was a volunteer English teacher there about six years ago - Rogozhin - the school that takes everyone who asked for an education irrespective of color, immigration status, age and religion.Tikkum Olam "fixing the world" at its finest.

The title is taken from Exodus - the Hebrew looks like this:

וגר לא־תונה ולא תלחצנו כי־גרים הייתם בארץ מצרים

The English translation: 

"You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt."

Enjoy the preview:

 http://vimeo.com/19453440

 Sadly, I won't be able to see it for a while, but if you get a chance, please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment